QuantERA is divided into six work packages (WPs), each with its own objectives, tasks and deliverables. A work package leader, responsible for the coordination of tasks, is appointed for each work package.
WP1: Programme management (Leader: NCN)
The overall objective of WP1 is the setting-up and implementation of the Consortium management for optimal coordination of the QuantERA Programme. WP1 includes liaising with and reporting to the European Commission. This WP will establish a dedicated management resource for the whole Programme and maintain the necessary infrastructure. Within the first 3 months, the Coordination Office and all the networking tools will be established: the QuantERA Steering Committee, comprising senior representatives of the national government/agencies in charge of programme policy; the Management Team, comprising the WP and tasks leaders; the Call Steering Committee with representatives of all agencies taking part in the Co-funded Call and the Strategic Advisory Board, comprising internationally recognised scientists and industrialists.
- Task 1.1: Programme management
- Task 1.2: Financial management and budget control
- Task 1.3: Implementation of working structures
- Task 1.4: Communication among Partners, Strategic Advisory Board and internal reporting
- Task 1.5: Communication with and reporting to the European Commission
WP2: Co-funded Call Preparation and Launch (Leader: ANR)
The objectives of the WP2 are to establish the scientific content and procedures of the Co-funded Call, to launch and promote it among the scientific community and to assess the Co-funded Call processes. Also, this WP incorporates the organisation of a strategic meeting in order to identify Co-funded Call topics.
- Task 2.1: Co-funded Call topic selection and definition
- Task 2.2: Preparation of Co-funded Call documents
- Task 2.3: Promotion and launch of the Co-funded Call
- Task 2.4: Establishment and maintenance of Partner Search Tool
- Task 2.5: Co-funded Call Procedures Assessment
WP3: Co-funded Call Evaluation and Proposal Selection (Leader: ANR)
This WP is specifically dedicated to the implementation of the Co-funded Call. The implementation of the Co-funded Call will be based on the scientific and contractual framework agreed in WP2. An electronic submission and evaluation tool will be prepared and the Call Secretariat will be established. An Evaluation Panel (EP) will be formed. The evaluation will be implemented in two steps, each one with a meeting of the EP, followed by a meeting of the Call Steering Committee. The Call Steering Committee will take its final funding decision based strictly on the scientific recommendation of the EP (ranking list), using national contributions and EC top-up funding in order to maximise the number of selected excellent projects.
- Task 3.1: Development and maintenance of the Electronic Submission System
- Task 3.2: Establishment and maintenance of the Co-funded Call Secretariat
- Task 3.3: Preparation of Evaluation Panel activities
- Task 3.4: Proposal evaluation: Review of pre-proposals at a national and transnational level
- Task 3.5: Proposal evaluation: Joint international peer review of full proposals
- Task 3.6: Proposal selection including use of the EC top-up
WP4: Monitoring, Follow-up and Impact Assessment (Leader: UEFISCDI)
WP4 will implement the QuantERA funded research projects’ evaluation, monitoring and follow-up. A special monitoring tool will be established for the follow-up on the funded projects. A mid-term monitoring event will be organised with the production of mid-term reports. The final project reports will constitute the basis for the QuantERA Final Report. The impact of QuantERA Programme as a whole will also be assessed within this WP.
- Task 4.1: Designing a strategy for monitoring co-funded project progress and identifying relevant indicators for their impact assessment
- Task 4.2: Design and maintenance of the QuantERA online monitoring system for funded projects
- Task 4.3: Mid-term review of funded projects
- Task 4.4: Ex-post evaluation of funded projects and preparation of final monitoring report
- Task 4.5: Impact assessment of the QuantERA Programme
WP5: Communication, exploitation and dissemination of results (Leader: NCN)
WP5 is focused on external communication with various stakeholders including academia, industry, policy makers and the broader public. It will include the implementation of a dedicated website, e-leaflets and dissemination activities in social and public media. The aim of this WP will be to raise the visibility of QuantERA and to promote the impact of research in QT. Two strategic conferences, a mid-term one and a final one will be organised, with QuantERA Members and a broad variety of stakeholders. Results of research projects funded by QuantERA will also be disseminated to industrial stakeholders.
- Task 5.1: Website design and management
- Task 5.2: Communication, dissemination and application of results from the Co-funded Call and QuantERA Programme
- Task 5.3: Raising the profile and promoting the impact of QT research through QuantERA events
- Subtask 5.3.1: Preparation of the QuantERA funded projects launch event
- Subtask 5.3.2: Preparation of the QuantERA Mid-term strategic conference
- Subtask 5.3.3: Preparation of the QuantERA Final strategic conference
WP6: Strategic Developments (additional activities) (Leader: FCT)
WP6 is dedicated to strategic development, and will assess and support the continuation of QuantERA beyond the first call, thus creating the opportunity to further enhance the research and innovation community around QT in Europe. Potential issues related to Responsible Research and Innovation will be studied. WP6 will also continuously monitor the development of the public policies in this field and foster cooperation with other countries in QT. In addition, QuantERA will seek to open and support two-way communication channels with industrial stakeholders and explore opportunities and topics for a potential future call.
- Task 6.1: Exploring the possibilities of additional joint funding initiatives and future development in QT
- Task 6.2: Building Industry leadership and developing industry connections to QT research
- Task 6.3: Responsible Research and Innovation in QT EPSRC
- Task 6.4: Enhancing cooperation with other countries and stakeholders
- Task 6.5: Mapping the development of public policies in QT throughout Europe and worldwide